18 July 2013

Publicity Shots from Hell No.31

Once in a while I present a photograph in this feature, and have a little grumble that I really should know more about it, but can't quite for the life of me recall what it is.

Similarly, a recent conversation with probably the only person who reads this page reminded me of pre-VHS days, when it was often possible to come across an unlabelled photo in DWM and not to be able to place it at all.


This one independently puzzled us both for many years, it seems. But since it is a shot from a story that was never transmitted on TV, I suppose we can be excused for our youthful naivety.

Personally, it wasn't until the October 1983 publication of Doctor Who Monthly 81 (The Magazine of Time and Space) that I began to get a clue as to the photograph's provenance.

I still wasn't totally convinced, though.


And before you get all cocky, let's remember that DWM covers were never the most reliable guides to the series and its stars. Randomly jump forward a mere 18 months, and here's how issue 99 advertised its wares...


Blimey, Mary Tamm looks a bit off-colour, doesn't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment