24 April 2015

Escape To Danger No.8

It's amusing to remember that almost as soon as it was formed in 1976, the Doctor Who Appreciation Society was riven by heated debate and internal schism.
 
In fact, it's even more amusing to remember that the reason for these bitter wrangles was a story from Season 14, nowadays viewed as archetypically "classic" fare.
 
Yes, it was Robert Holmes' treatment of the Time Lords in "The Deadly Assassin" that drove the DWAS to man the barricades, as lines were drawn between those who thought he had destroyed the concept of them as lofty omnipotent beings, and those who considered the depiction of their stagnating society was rather appropriate.

 
Of course, the image of Tom Baker (the wildly popular "bohemian" Doctor) dressed in baroque Time Lord robes is an incredibly arresting and enduring one.

 
Incidentally, I used to think that I had a jigsaw that featured Baker in Gallifreyan garb, that I bought after a swimming lesson at a swimming pool in town that doesn't exist anymore, at a shop in town that doesn't exist anymore.
 
But now I'm pretty sure I didn't.
 
(I'll return to this subject at a later date, but I can certainly confirm owning two other Baker jigsaws, bought under identical circumstances).
 
 
Erik Chitty and Old Georgie Truth there, together at last!
 
 
Quite a common shot of the skeletal Master, there. But why he had to wear those rags remains a mystery.
 
 
I like the above portrait shot a lot, and prefer it to the uncropped version where you can see more of the Master's arm. Also, it was the basis of a really great Target novel cover.
 
And still scares the pants off me after all this time...


No comments:

Post a Comment