23 February 2015

Escape To Danger No.3

With the Randomiser seemingly in working order, it's back to the final days of the Hartnell era. And a fairly significant story at that...


And that's Robert (not Warren) Beatty, there. Canadian Beatty was repeatedly referred to in articles that attempted to talk up the big-name talent that appeared in the series. (Along with Julian Glover, Michael Gough and, erm... that was it, according to the Monthly).
 
But history has decreed that Beatty wasn't the real star of the show...


Not only does that shot makes an impressive double page magazine spread, it's also one of my favourite shots ever from the series. There's just something about an alien menace looming out of a blizzard that gets my imagination kicking into overdrive.


It's a shame this one doesn't have anything like a similar effect on me, as I remember enacting many, many such astronaut-struggling-with-controls scenarios during childhood games...
 
And this story can't go by without a mention of the regeneration...




 
I always wondered why Patrick Troughton looked so sweaty until I saw the clip properly and realised it was the lighting effects.
 
Anyway, the classic shot this time around is of course...

 
I used to have that as a pin-up on one of my bedroom cupboards when I was nine or ten years old.
 
Even then I was more interested in Cybermen than I was in girls...

No comments:

Post a Comment